CHAPTER 2 of the National Appeal Regulations, 2014 in terms of the National Environmental Management Act, Act no. 107 of 1998, as amended)
ADMINISTRATION AND PROCESSING OF APPEALS
4. (1) An appellant must submit the appeal to the appeal administrator, and a copy of the appeal to the applicant, any registered interested and affected party and any organ of state with interest in the matter within 20 days from:
(a) the date that the notification of the decision for an application for an environmental authorisation or a waste management licence was sent to the registered interested and affected parties by the applicant; or
(b) the date that the notification of the decision was sent to the applicant by the competent authority, issuing authority or licensing authority, in the case of decisions other than those referred to in paragraph (a).
(2) An appeal submission must be
(a) submitted in writing in the form obtainable from the appeal administrator; and
(b) accompanied by
(i). a statement setting out the grounds of appeal;
(ii). supporting documentation which is referred to in the appeal submission; and a statement, including supporting documentation, by the appellant to confirm compliance with regulation 4(1) of these Regulations.
5. The applicant, the decision maker, interested and affected parties and organ of state must submit their responding statement, if any, to the appeal authority and the appellant within 20 days from the date of receipt of the appeal submission.
6. (1) If the appeal authority reasonably believes that expert advice must be sought or that an appeal panel must be appointed, the appeal administrator must source an independent expert or Constitute an independent appeal panel, or both, within 10 days from the date of receipt of an instruction from the appeal authority.
(2) The appeal panel contemplated in subregulation (1) may consist of such number of independent experts and with such expertise as the Appeal Authority may deem necessary under the circumstances;
(3) The expert or appeal panel must provide advice to the appeal administrator within 10 days from the receipt of an instruction from the appeal administrator.
Recommendations and decisions on appeals
7. (1) The appeal administrator must make a recommendation on the appeal to the appeal authority within 30 days of receipt of the responding statement referred to in
regulation 5 of these Regulations, in the event that an independent expert has not been sourced or an independent appeal panel has not been constituted.
(2) The appeal administrator must make a recommendation on the appeal to the appeal authority within 10 days of receipt of the advice referred to in regulation 6(2) of these Regulations, in the event that an independent expert has been sourced or an independent appeal panel has been constituted,
(3) The appeal authority must reach a decision on an appeal, and notify the appellant, applicant, and any registered interested and affected party, within 20 days of the recommendation on the appeal by the appeal administrator,
(4) The decision contemplated in subregulation (3) must contain written reasons for the decision.
8 (1) A person may deliver documents in terms of these regulations by using one of the delivery methods referred to in section 47D of the Act.
(2) In order to meet the time periods determined in these regulations, the person referred to in subregulation (1), must also email, fax or hand deliver the document to the recipient, if the document is delivered by ordinary mail or registered mail.